- The definition of princess is something created to stay close-fitting and hang in smooth lines from the top to the hem.
An example of princess used as an adjective is the phrase "princess gown" which means a gown cut in smooth lines from the top to the hem.
- Princess is defined as a woman who is the daughter of a king or queen, or the wife or daughter of a king or queen's son, or someone who acts or lives like they have the status of a royal person.
An example of a princess is Princess Diana.
- Archaic any female monarch; esp., a queen
- a nonreigning female member of a royal family
- in Great Britain,
- a daughter of the sovereign
- a daughter of a son of the sovereign
- the wife of a prince
- any woman or girl regarded as like a princess, as in being:
- graceful, accomplished, or outstanding in some way
- pampered, protected, snobbish, arrogant, etc.
Origin of princessMiddle English princesse ; from MFr: see prince and amp; -ess
Origin of princess; from French princesse, princess
- A woman member of a royal family other than the monarch, especially a daughter of a monarch.
- a. A woman who is a ruler of a principality.b. A woman who is a hereditary ruler; a queen.
- A noblewoman of varying status or rank.
- The wife of a prince.
- A woman regarded as having the status or qualities of a princess.
Origin of princessMiddle English princesse, from Old French, feminine of prince, prince; see prince.
- A female member of a royal family other than a queen, especially a daughter or granddaughter. [from 14th c.]
- A woman or girl who excels in a given field or class. [from 14th c.]
- (now archaic) A female ruler or monarch; a queen. [from 15th c.]
- The wife of a prince; the female ruler of a principality. [from 15th c.]
- Princess Grace was the Princess of Monaco.
- A young girl; used as a term of endearment. [from 18th c.]
- (derogatory, chiefly US) A young girl or woman considered vain, spoiled or selfish; a prima donna. [from 20th c.]
- You're a real princess.
- A tinted crystal marble used in children's games.
- A type of court card in the Tarot pack, coming between the 10 and the prince (Jack).
- A female lemur.
- Possessive forms: princess's (main form used by academics and book publishers) The princess's golden hair.; princess' (main form used by newspapers) The princess' golden hair.
- A princess is usually styled “Her Highness". A princess in a royal family is “Her Royal Highness"; in an imperial family “Her Imperial Highness".