- The definition of princess is something created to stay close-fitting and hang in smooth lines from the top to the hem.
An example of princess used as an adjective is the phrase "princess gown" which means a gown cut in smooth lines from the top to the hem.
- Princess is defined as a woman who is the daughter of a king or queen, or the wife or daughter of a king or queen's son, or someone who acts or lives like they have the status of a royal person.
An example of a princess is Princess Diana.
- Archaic any female monarch; esp., a queen
- a nonreigning female member of a royal family
- in Great Britain,
- a daughter of the sovereign
- a daughter of a son of the sovereign
- the wife of a prince
- any woman or girl regarded as like a princess, as in being:
- graceful, accomplished, or outstanding in some way
- pampered, protected, snobbish, arrogant, etc.
Origin: Middle English princesse from MFr: see prince and amp; -ess
Origin: from French princesse, princess
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A woman member of a royal family other than the monarch, especially a daughter of a monarch.
- a. A woman who is a ruler of a principality.b. A woman who is a hereditary ruler; a queen.
- A noblewoman of varying status or rank.
- The wife of a prince.
- A woman regarded as having the status or qualities of a princess.
Origin: Middle English princesse, from Old French, feminine of prince, prince; see prince.