- The definition of mincing is the actions of someone who acts dainty or refined.
A child walking carefully down a wedding aisle, spreading flowers is an example of someone mincing.
mincing definition by Webster's New World
- affectedly elegant or dainty: of a person or a person's speech, manner, etc.
- characterized by short steps or affected daintiness: a mincing walk
- mincingly adverb
mincing definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- mincˈing·ly adverb
Variant of mince
- to cut up or chop up (meat, etc.) into very small pieces; hash
- to subdivide minutely
- to express or do with affected elegance or daintiness
- to lessen the force of; weaken, as by euphemism: to mince no words
Origin: Middle English mincen ; from Old French mincier ; from Vulgar Latin an unverified form minutiare ; from Classical Latin minutus, small: see minute
- to speak or act with affected elegance or daintiness
- to walk with short steps or in an affected, dainty manner
- mincer noun