- The definition of mincing is the actions of someone who acts dainty or refined.
A child walking carefully down a wedding aisle, spreading flowers is an example of someone mincing.
- affectedly elegant or dainty: of a person or a person's speech, manner, etc.
- characterized by short steps or affected daintiness: a mincing walk
- Present participle of mince.
(comparative more mincing, superlative most mincing)
- Affectedly dainty.
Variant of mince
transitive verbminced, mincing
- to cut up or chop up (meat, etc.) into very small pieces; hash
- to subdivide minutely
- to express or do with affected elegance or daintiness
- to lessen the force of; weaken, as by euphemism: to mince no words
Origin of minceMiddle English mincen ; from Old French mincier ; from Vulgar Latin an unverified form minutiare ; from Classical Latin minutus, small: see minute
- to speak or act with affected elegance or daintiness
- to walk with short steps or in an affected, dainty manner
not mince matters