cold turkeycold turkey
- abruptly and totally: said of withdrawal from an addiction to drugs, tobacco, etc.
- in a frank, blunt, or matter-of-fact way: to talk cold turkey about our chances
- without preparation or preliminaries
Origin of cold turkeyfrom uncertain or unknown; perhaps
Immediate, complete withdrawal from something on which one has become dependent, such as an addictive drug.
- Immediately and without gradual reduction of use: quit smoking cold turkey.
- Frankly or directly; without mincing words: spoke to her staff cold turkey about the likelihood of layoffs.
Origin of cold turkeyProbably from the serving of cold roast turkey as a dish needing no preparation
- The sudden and complete withdrawal of a dependent substance, especially of a drug
- The physiological effects of such a withdrawal
From the goose bumps that people get when they're cold turkey.