old maid definition by Webster's New World
- a woman, esp. an older woman, who has never married; spinster: a mild term of contempt
- a prim, prudish, fussy person
- a simple card game played with a deck containing one card with no match, the loser being the player left with that card after all the others have been paired
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- oldmaidish adjective
old maid definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Offensive A woman who has remained single beyond the conventional age for marrying.
- Informal A person regarded as being primly fastidious.
- Games a. A card game in which the player who holds a designated card at the end is the loser.b. The loser of this game.
- Chiefly Southern U.S. See zinnia.
- oldˈ-maidˈish adjective