- The definition of informal is something or someone who is casual or relaxed.
An example of informal used as an adjective is informal clothing, such as comfy casual jeans and a sweatshirt.
An informal poolside party.
informal definition by Webster's New World
not formal; specif.,: the label [Informal] is used throughout this dictionary in this sense
- not according to prescribed or fixed customs, rules, ceremonies, etc.
- casual, easy, unceremonious, or relaxed
- designed for use or wear on everyday occasions
- not requiring formal dress
- designating or of the words, phrases, and idioms characteristic of speech or writing that is casual, ordinary, unceremonious, etc.; colloquial
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- informally adverb
informal definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Not formal or ceremonious; casual: an informal gathering of friends; a relaxed, informal manner.
- Not being in accord with prescribed regulations or forms; unofficial: an informal agreement.
- Suited for everyday wear or use: informal clothes.
- Being more appropriate for use in the spoken language than in the written language.
- in·forˈmal·ly adverb