An informal poolside party.
The definition of informal is something or someone who is casual or relaxed.
An example of informal used as an adjective is informal clothing, such as comfy casual jeans and a sweatshirt.
not formal; specif.,: the label [Informal] is used throughout this dictionary in this sense
- not according to prescribed or fixed customs, rules, ceremonies, etc.
- casual, easy, unceremonious, or relaxed
- designed for use or wear on everyday occasions
- not requiring formal dress
- designating or of the words, phrases, and idioms characteristic of speech or writing that is casual, ordinary, unceremonious, etc.; colloquial
- Not formal or ceremonious; casual: an informal gathering of friends; a relaxed, informal manner.
- Not being in accord with prescribed regulations or forms; unofficial: an informal agreement.
- Suited for everyday wear or use: informal clothes.
- Characterized by nontechnical vocabulary, simple sentence structure, and relatively few explicit transitions, as typified by spoken language: informal discourse.
(comparative more informal, superlative most informal)
AnagramsSee also: informál