- The definition of homey is something that is familiar and pleasing.
The kitchen smelling of fresh-baked cookies is an example of homey.
adjectivehom·i·er, hom·i·est Informal
(plural homies or homeys)
- (African American Vernacular) Someone, particularly a male acquaintance, from one's hometown.
- (African American Vernacular) A close friend or fellow member of a youth gang.
- Hey there, Francis, my homey!
- "yo homeys!"
- (African American Vernacular) An inner-city youth.
Very informal slang associated with urban African-American Vernacular English. Spelling of the plural is uncertain, as most usage is spoken. In writing, the form homies is more common.
Earliest known reference is in the 1946 tune by Ella Mae Morse and Freddie Slack, "The House of Blue Lights," when Morse improvises a spoken-word intro. Possible shortened form of homeboy.
(comparative homier, superlative homiest)
home + -y