- The definition of homely is looking plain or unattractive.
A woman wearing large glasses and clothes that fit badly is an example of homely.
homely definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- homeliness noun
homely definition by American Heritage Dictionary
adjective home·li·er, home·li·est
- Not attractive or good-looking: a homely child.
- Lacking elegance or refinement: homely furniture.
- Of a simple or unpretentious nature; plain: homely truths.
- Characteristic of the home or of home life: homely skills.
- homeˈli·ness noun