- Household is defined as common or known to everyone.
An example of household as an adjective is household name; a very familiar name.
- The definition of a household is a family or social unit living together, or everything related to the actions of the household.
- You and your family members who live with you are an example of your household.
- The budget and checkbook are examples of the accounting tools of the household.
- the person or persons who live in one house, apartment, etc.; variously, one person or a group, esp. a family
- the home and its affairs
Origin of householdMiddle English houshold: see house and hold, noun
- of a household or home; domestic: household chores
- common; ordinary
- known to almost everyone; very familiar: the incident made him a household name overnight
- a. A domestic unit consisting of the members of a family who live together along with nonrelatives such as servants.b. The living spaces and possessions belonging to such a unit.
- A person or group of people occupying a single dwelling: the rise of nonfamily households.
- Of, relating to, or used in a household: household appliances.
- Commonly known; familiar: has become a household name.
Origin of householdMiddle English houshold hous house ; see house . hold possession, holding ( from Old English) ( from healdan to hold ; see hold 1. )
- Belonging to the same house and family.
- Of anything found in or having its origin in a home.