- The definition of homicide is the deliberate and illegal murder of another person, or the department in the police agency that is authorized to investigate murders.
- When a criminal murders someone, this is an example of homicide.
- The police department that investigates a murder is an example of homicide.
Origin of homicideMiddle English ; from Old French ; from Late Latin homicidium, manslaughter, murder ; from Classical Latin homicida, murderer ; from homo, a man (see homo) + caedere, to cut, kill: see -cide any killing of one human being by another
Origin of homicideME < OFr < L homicida a person who kills another
- The killing of one person by another, regardless of intention or legality.
- A person who kills another person.
Origin of homicideMiddle English, from Old French, from Latin homicīdium and homicīda : homō, man; see dhghem- in Indo-European roots + -cīdium and -cīda, -cide.
- (uncountable) The killing of one person by another, whether premeditated or unintentional.
- (countable) A person who kills another.
- (countable, US, police jargon) A victim of homicide; a person who has been unlawfully killed by someone else.
homicide - Legal Definition
The killing of a human being, committed by another.justifiable homicide
The killing of a human excused by the law as appropriate or necessary; for example, in self-defense.negligent homicide
The killing of another by an act of irresponsibility or lack of attention to duty, rather than by intentional act.vehicular homicide
The killing of another by operation of a motor vehicle; generally the driver’s acts must be more than just negligent; for example, in a motor vehicle accident arising from the intoxication of the driver, where another is killed.