- The definition of homicide is the deliberate and illegal murder of another person, or the department in the police agency that is authorized to investigate murders.
- When a criminal murders someone, this is an example of homicide.
- The police department that investigates a murder is an example of homicide.
homicide definition by Webster's New World
Origin: Middle English ; from Old French ; from Late Latin homicidium, manslaughter, murder ; from Classical Latin homicida, murderer ; from homo, a man (see homo) plush caedere, to cut, kill: see -cideany killing of one human being by another
Origin: ME < OFr < L homicidaa person who kills another
homicide definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The killing of one person by another.
- A person who kills another person.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin homicīdium and homicīda : homō, man; see dhghem- in Indo-European roots + -cīdium and -cīda, -cide.
homicide - Cultural Definition
The killing of one person by another, whether intended (murder) or not (manslaughter). Not all homicide is unlawful; killing in self-defense, for example, is not a crime.
homicide - Legal Definition