- a masculine name: var. Jonas
- a Hebrew prophet: thrown overboard in a storm sent because he had disobeyed God, he was swallowed by a big fish, but three days later was cast up on the shore unharmed
- the book telling Jonah's story: abbrev.
- any person said to bring bad luck by being present
Origin of JonahEcclesiastical Late Latin Jonas ; from Ecclesiastical Greek Īonas ; from Classical Hebrew (language) jōnāh, literally , a dove
In the Bible, a prophet who was swallowed by a great fish and disgorged unharmed three days later.
Origin of JonahHebrew yônâ, dove; see ywn in Semitic roots.
- See Table at Bible.
- One thought to bring bad luck.
Origin of JonahAfter Jonah.