- a masculine name: var. Jonas
- a Hebrew prophet: thrown overboard in a storm sent because he had disobeyed God, he was swallowed by a big fish, but three days later was cast up on the shore unharmed
- the book telling Jonah's story: abbrev. Jon
- any person said to bring bad luck by being present
Origin of JonahEcclesiastical Late Latin Jonas from Ecclesiastical Greek ?onas from Classical Hebrew (language) j?n?h, literally , a dove
In the Bible, a prophet who was swallowed by a great fish and disgorged unharmed three days later.
Origin of JonahHebrew yônâ dove ywn
- One thought to bring bad luck.
Origin of JonahAfter Jonah 1
From the Hebrew יוֹנָה (yoná, “dove”).