- a masculine name: var. Jonas
- a Hebrew prophet: thrown overboard in a storm sent because he had disobeyed God, he was swallowed by a big fish, but three days later was cast up on the shore unharmed
- the book telling Jonah's story: abbrev.
- any person said to bring bad luck by being present
Origin: LL(Ec) Jonas from Ecclesiastical Greek Īonas from Classical Hebrew (language) jōnāh, literally , a dove
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Origin: Hebrew yônâ, dove; see ywn in Semitic roots.
- Abbr. Jon. See Table at Bible.
- One thought to bring bad luck.
Origin: After Jonah.