The interior of a modern cinema.
- An IMAX movie theater at Regal Cinemas is an example of a cinema.
- The collection of all Hollywood films and movies is an example of American cinema.
The definition of cinema is a movie theater, or the production of films and movies.
a film theater
Origin of cinemashort for cinematograph: see cinematography
- the art or business of making films
- films collectively
- A movie theater.
- Movies collectively, especially when considered as an art form.
Origin of cinemaFrench cinéma, short for cinématographe; see cinematograph.
(countable and uncountable, plural cinemas)
- (countable) A film.
- (countable) A movie theatre, a movie house
- The cinema is right across the street from the restaurant.
- (film, uncountable) Film or movies as a group.
- Despite the critics, he produced excellent cinema.
- (film, uncountable) The film and movie industry.
- In the long history of Spanish cinema […] .
- (film, uncountable) The art of making films and movies.
- Throughout the history of cinema, filmmakers […] .
OriginSee also: cinéma