- The definition of cinema is a movie theater, or the production of films and movies.
- An IMAX movie theater at Regal Cinemas is an example of a cinema.
- The collection of all Hollywood films and movies is an example of American cinema.
The interior of a modern cinema.
cinema definition by Webster's New World
Origin: short for cinematograph: see cinematography
cinema definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. A film or movie.b. A movie theater.
- a. Films or movies considered as a group.b. The film or movie industry.
- The art or technique of making films or movies; filmmaking.
Origin: French cinéma, short for cinématographe; see cinematograph.
- cinˌe·matˈic adjective
- cinˌe·matˈi·cal·ly adverb
cinema - Computer Definition
A movie; a movie theater; the movie industry. The term refers to movies shot for theater audiences in contrast to videos shot with camcorders, still cameras or camera phones. See cinema format.
cinema - Phrases/Idioms
- the art or business of making films
- films collectively