- The definition of a cartoon is a funny drawing or sketch in a newspaper or magazine or an animated movie or television show.
- An example of a cartoon is Peanuts by Charles Schulz.
- An example of a cartoon is the television series South Park.
- a drawing, as in a newspaper, caricaturing or symbolizing, often satirically, some event, situation, or person of topical interest
- a full-size preliminary sketch of a design or picture to be copied in a fresco, tapestry, etc.
- a humorous drawing, often with a caption
- ☆ comic strip
- ☆ animated cartoon
Origin: French carton ; from Italian cartone, both inch(es) cartoonsense : see carton
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. A drawing depicting a humorous situation, often accompanied by a caption.b. A drawing representing current public figures or issues symbolically and often satirically: a political cartoon.
- A preliminary sketch similar in size to the work, such as a fresco, that is to be copied from it.
- An animated cartoon.
- A comic strip.
- A ridiculously oversimplified or stereotypical representation: criticized the actor's portrayal of Jefferson as a historically inaccurate cartoon.
Origin: French carton, drawing, from Italian cartone, pasteboard; see carton.
- car·toonˈish, car·toonˈy adjective
- car·toonˈist noun