- An example of a cartoon is Peanuts by Charles Schulz.
- An example of a cartoon is the television series South Park.
The definition of a cartoon is a funny drawing or sketch in a newspaper or magazine or an animated movie or television show.
- a drawing, as in a newspaper, caricaturing or symbolizing, often satirically, some event, situation, or person of topical interest
- a full-size preliminary sketch of a design or picture to be copied in a fresco, tapestry, etc.
- a humorous drawing, often with a caption
- comic strip
- animated cartoon
Origin of cartoonFrench carton from Italian cartone, both in cartoonsense : see carton
to draw a cartoon of
to draw cartoons
- a. A drawing depicting a humorous situation, often accompanied by a caption.b. A drawing representing current public figures or issues symbolically and often satirically: a political cartoon.
- A preliminary sketch similar in size to the work, such as a fresco, that is to be copied from it.
- a. A usually short, animated movie or television program.b. An animated character in a movie or television program.
- A comic strip.
- A ridiculously oversimplified or stereotypical representation: criticized the actor's portrayal of Jefferson as a historically inaccurate cartoon.
verbcar·tooned, car·toon·ing, car·toons
To draw a humorous or satirical representation of; caricature.
To make humorous or satirical drawings.
Origin of cartoonFrench carton drawing from Italian cartone pasteboard ; see carton .
- car·toon′ish car·toon′y
(third-person singular simple present cartoons, present participle cartooning, simple past and past participle cartooned)
- (art, comics, animation) To draw a cartoon.