- The definition of a carton is a container or large box used for shipping or for holding liquids.
An example of a carton is a container which holds a half gallon of milk.
An empty cardboard carton.
carton definition by Webster's New World
- a cardboard box, esp. a large one, as for shipping merchandise
- a boxlike container, as of light, waxed cardboard, for liquids
- a full carton or its contents
Origin: French ; from Italian cartone ; from carta, paper: see card
carton definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Any of various containers made from cardboard or coated paper: cans packed in cartons; a milk carton.
- The contents of a carton: dyed the whole carton of eggs.
Origin: French, from Italian cartone, pasteboard, augmentative of carta, card, paper, from Latin charta, carta, paper made from papyrus; see card1.