- The definition of a receptacle is a container or space used for a specific purpose.
A can used to put trash in is an example of a trash receptacle.
A man puts trash in this receptacle.
receptacle definition by Webster's New World
- anything used to contain or hold something else; container; vessel
- an electrical wall outlet designed for use with a plug
Origin: ModL receptaculumBot.
- the enlarged upper end of the stalk of a flowering plant, on which the flower parts grow
- any of a number of cuplike or disklike structures supporting spores, sex organs, etc.
Origin: Middle English ; from Classical Latin receptaculum ; from receptare, frequentative of recipere: see receive
receptacle definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A container that holds items or matter.
- Botany The expanded tip of a flower stalk or axis that bears the floral organs or the group of flowers in a head.
- Electronics A fitting connected to a power supply and equipped to receive a plug.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin receptāculum, from receptāre, to receive again, frequentative of recipere, to receive; see receive.
receptacle - Science Definition