- The definition of a pitcher is a container for liquids or the person who throws the ball to the batter in baseball and softball.
- An example of a pitcher is a container for holding and pouring lemonade.
- An example of a pitcher is Al Leiter, a former pitcher for the New York Yankees.
- a container, usually with a handle and lip, for holding and pouring liquids
- as much as a pitcher will hold
- Bot. ascidium
Origin: Middle English picher from Old French pichier from Vulgar Latin an unverified form piccarium, variant, variety of bicarium, jug, cup: see beaker
Origin: pitch plush -er
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- One that pitches.
- Baseball The player who throws the ball from the mound to the batter.
- Sports A seven iron used in golf.
- A container for liquids, usually having a handle and a lip or spout for pouring.
- Botany A pitcherlike part, such as the leaf of a pitcher plant.
Origin: Middle English picher, from Old French pichier, alteration of bichier, from Medieval Latin bicārium, drinking cup, probably from Greek bikos, jar, possibly from Egyptian biḳ, oil vessel.