- The definition of a lampoon is a speech or text that parodies someone or something or that uses humor to criticize.
A cartoon making fun of a politician is an example of a lampoon.
- To lampoon is defined as to parody or publicly criticize someone or something using humor.
When you make a cartoon about a politician's new platform and publish it, this is an example of a time when you lampoon his new platform.
lampoon definition by Webster's New World
Origin: French lampon ; from lampons, let us drink (refrain in a drinking song) ; from lamper, to guzzle: see lampas
lampoon definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A written attack ridiculing a person, group, or institution. See Synonyms at caricature.
- A light, good-humored satire.
Origin: French lampon, perhaps from lampons, let us drink (from a common refrain in drinking songs), first person pl. imperative of lamper, to gulp down, of Germanic origin.
- lam·poonˈer, lam·poonˈist noun
- lam·poonˈer·y noun