- The definition of applaud is to show approval or praise, usually with hand clapping.
Giving a standing ovation for a performer is an example of to applaud.
A group applauding a speaker.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- to show approval or enjoyment (of) by clapping the hands or by cheering, stamping the feet, etc.
- to praise; approve; commend
Origin: Classical Latin applaudere ; from ad-, to plush plaudere, to clap hands, strike
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
verb ap·plaud·ed, ap·plaud·ing, ap·plauds verb, intransitive
- To express approval of (someone or something) especially by such clapping.
- To commend highly; praise: applauded her decision to complete her degree.
Origin: Middle English applauden, from Latin applaudere : ad-, ad- + plaudere, to clap.
- ap·plaudˈa·ble adjective
- ap·plaudˈa·bly adverb
- ap·plaudˈer noun