- The definition of boo is a way to show disapproval, or to scare or surprise someone.
- An example of boo is to what a man said when the speaker said something he thought was shameful.
- An example of boo is what a child says when they jump out from a hiding place.
- Boo is defined as a term of endearment for a boyfriend or girlfriend, a sound make to show disapproval of something that was said, or is slang for marijuana.
- An example of a boo is what a boy might call his girlfriend that he loves very much.
- An example of a boo is the sound made by an audience who does agree with the speaker.
- An example of a boo is a reefer cigarette.
- To boo is to make a sound of disapproval.
An example of boo is what a crowd does to show their dislike of what a speaker says.
A crowd says boo to the performance.
nounpl. boos boos
- A sound uttered to show contempt, scorn, or disapproval.
- Informal Any sound or word: You never said boo to me about overtime.
verbbooed booed, boo·ing, boos boos
Origin of booImitative.
Origin of booOrigin unknown.
- A loud exclamation intended to scare someone, especially a child. Usually used when one has been hidden from the victim and then suddenly appeared unexpectedly.
- A word used ironically in a situation where one might have scared someone, but said someone was not scared. Not said as loudly as in definition 1.
- An exclamation used by a member or many members of an audience, as at a stage play or sports game, to indicate derision or disapproval of what has just occurred.
- A derisive shout made to indicate disapproval.
- (US, slang) A close acquaintance or significant other, derived from French beau.
(third-person singular simple present boos, present participle booing, simple past and past participle booed)
- (intransitive) To shout extended boos derisively.
- When he took the podium, the crowd booed.
- To derisively shout extended boos at.
- The protesters loudly booed the visiting senator.
Coined to create a loud and startling sound. Compare Latin boō (“to cry aloud, roar, shout”).