- The definition of a snort is a loud sound made by blowing air through your nose, usually made by people to express laughter or, for animals, when they want to express fear, or a snort refers to a dose of cocaine or other drug inhaled up through your nose.
- When you are laughing so hard that air comes out of your nose and you make a loud sound from the nose, this is an example of a snort.
- The amount of cocaine you can inhale through your nose using a rolled-up dollar bill is an example of a snort of cocaine.
- Snort is to make a sound by suddenly blowing air through your nose, or is slang for sniffing a narcotic drug.
- When you want to express disbelief and do so by blowing air through your nose and making a loud sound, this is an example of when you snort.
- When an addict inhales a narcotic drug through their nose using a rolled-up dollar bill, this is an example of when they snort.
- to force breath suddenly and violently through the nostrils so as to make a harsh sound
- to express anger, contempt, or the like by a snort
- to make a noise like a snort, as in laughing boisterously
- ☆ Slang to take a narcotic drug into the nose by sniffing
Origin: Middle English snorten, probably from or akin to snoren, to snore
- to express or utter with a snort
- to expel by or as by a snort
- ☆ Slang to take (a narcotic drug) into the nose by sniffing
- the act or sound of snorting
- ☆ Slang a quick drink of straight liquor
- ☆ Slang a dose of a drug, esp. cocaine or heroin, that is snorted
- snorter noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. A rough, noisy sound made by breathing forcefully through the nostrils, as a horse or pig does.b. A similar sound: the snort of a steam engine.
- Slang a. A drink of liquor, especially when swallowed in one gulp.b. Cocaine or heroin, especially a small amount sniffed at one time.c. The liquor or drug so taken.
- a. To breathe noisily and forcefully through the nostrils.b. To make a sound resembling noisy exhalation: “The wind snorted across the Kansas plains” (Gail Sheehy).
- To make an abrupt noise expressive of scorn, ridicule, or contempt.
- Slang To ingest a drug, such as cocaine or heroin, by sniffing.
- To express by snorting: He snorted his disapproval.
- Slang To ingest by sniffing: snorted cocaine.
Origin: From Middle English snorten, to snort, from fnorten, variant of fnoren; see snore.
- snortˈer noun
snort - Computer Definition
An open source network intrusion detection system (NIDS) that is noted for its effectiveness. Developed by Martin Roesch, Snort can also be used just as a packet logger or packet sniffer. For more information, visit www.snort.org. See IDS.
Computer Desktop Encyclopedia
THIS DEFINITION IS FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY
All other reproduction is strictly prohibited without permission from the publisher.
© 1981-2014 The Computer Language Company Inc. All rights reserved.