- The definition of a snore is a snorting sound made when asleep caused by the vibration of the soft palate, or a snore is slang for something that is very boring.
- The snorting sound that your husband makes when you are sleeping that sends you running for the guest room is an example of a snore.
- A dull movie that you keep falling asleep during is an example of a snore.
- To snore is to make snorting and grunting sounds when sleeping.
If you make snorting and grunting sounds whenever you sleep on your back, this is an example of when you snore.
intransitive verbsnored, snoring
Origin of snoreMiddle English snoren: see snarl
intransitive verbsnored snored, snor·ing, snores
- The act or an instance of snoring.
- The noise so produced.
Origin of snoreMiddle English snoren, to snort, from fnoren, from Old English fnora, sneezing; see pneu- in Indo-European roots.
(third-person singular simple present snores, present participle snoring, simple past and past participle snored)
from Middle English snoren, akin to Middle Low German snorren (“to drone").