- a type of firecracker that burns with a hissing, spurting noise before exploding
- a short, sharp, usually witty attack in words; lampoon
- a short news item; filler
Origin: prob. echoic
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. A small firecracker.b. A broken firecracker that burns but does not explode.
- a. A brief satirical or witty writing or speech, such as a lampoon.b. A short, sometimes humorous piece in a newspaper or magazine, usually used as a filler.
- To write or utter squibs against; lampoon.
- Football To kick (the ball) low on a kickoff so that it bounces along the ground.
Origin: Probably imitative.