- The definition of a paragraph is a clear section of a written or printed work that contains one thought and normally begins on a new line.
An example of paragraph is the first section of a book's first chapter.
paragraph definition by Webster's New World
- a distinct section or subdivision of a chapter, letter, etc., usually dealing with a particular point: it is begun on a new line, often indented
- a mark (¶) used as by proofreaders to indicate the beginning of a paragraph or as a sign marking material referred to elsewhere
- a brief article, item, or note in a newspaper or magazine
Origin: Middle French paragraphe ; from Old French ; from Midieval Latin paragraphus, origin, originally , sign marking separation of parts, as of a chapter ; from Classical Greek paragraphos ; from para-, beside (see para-) plush graphein, to write (see graphic)
- to mention in a paragraph or paragraphs
- to separate or arrange in paragraphs
paragraph definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A distinct division of written or printed matter that begins on a new, usually indented line, consists of one or more sentences, and typically deals with a single thought or topic or quotes one speaker's continuous words.
- A mark ( ¶ ) used to indicate where a new paragraph should begin or to serve as a reference mark.
- A brief article, notice, or announcement, as in a newspaper.
Origin: Middle English paragraf, from Old French paragrafe, from Medieval Latin paragraphus, from Greek paragraphos, line showing a break in sense or a change of speakers in a dialogue, from paragraphein, to write beside : para-, beside; see para-1 + graphein, to write; see gerbh- in Indo-European roots.
- parˌa·graphˈic, parˌa·graphˈi·cal adjective
paragraph - Computer Definition
(1) In DOS programming, a 16 byte block. Memory addresses are generated as "segment:offset," where the segment is expressed in paragraphs. To compute an address, the segment register is shifted left four bits, which effectively multiplies it by 16. For example, in the address A000:0100, the A000 becomes A0000, as follows: Segment A0000 655,360 Offset 0100 256 Result A0100 655,616 This means there are 4,096 possibilities for expressing each memory byte, a situation that has helped generate confusion.
(2) In word processing and desktop publishing, a collection of words and sentences that contains an end-of-line character (return, line feed or both) at the end of it. From the viewpoint of the software, even a single word followed by a return is a paragraph.
paragraph - Cultural Definition
A basic unit of prose. It is usually composed of several sentences that together develop one central idea. The main sentence in a paragraph is called the topic sentence.