- a class or category of considerations or arguments on which a rhetorician may draw
- one such consideration or argument
- the subject of a paragraph, essay, speech, etc.
- a subject for discussion or conversation
- a heading or item in an outline
Origin of topicClassical Latin topica from Classical Greek ta topika, title of a work by Aristotle from topikos, local, concerning from topoi, commonplaces from topos, place from Indo-European base an unverified form top-, to arrive, goal from source Old English thafian, to endure