- An article is defined as an individual portion, object or piece of a larger group.
A pair of pants, a sweater and a skirt are each an example of an article of clothing.
- The definition of an article is a piece or section that is part of a larger written work such as a magazine or a document.
- A column in The New York Times about a recent, local murder is an example of an article.
- A section in a treaty between neighboring countries which discusses fishing rights is an example of an article.
A man reads a news article.
article definition by Webster's New World
- one of the sections or items of a written document, as of a constitution, treaty, contract, etc.
- the parts of a formal declaration, or of a body of rules, beliefs, etc., considered as a whole
- a complete piece of writing, as a report or essay, that is part of a newspaper, magazine, or book
- a thing of a certain kind; separate item: an article of luggage
- a thing for sale; commodity
- Gram. any one of the words a, an, or the (and their equivalents in other languages), used as adjectives: a and an are the indefinite articles and the is the definite article
Origin: Middle English and amp; Old French ; from Classical Latin articulus, diminutive of artus, a joint: see art
article definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- An individual thing or element of a class; a particular object or item: an article of clothing; articles of food.
- A particular section or item of a series in a written document, as in a contract, constitution, or treaty.
- A nonfictional literary composition that forms an independent part of a publication, as of a newspaper or magazine.
- Grammar a. The part of speech used to indicate nouns and to specify their application.b. Any of the words belonging to this part of speech. In English, the indefinite articles are a and an and the definite article is the.
- A particular part or subject; a specific matter or point.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin articulus, joint, article, diminutive of artus, joint (translation of Greek arthron, joint, article); see ar- in Indo-European roots.
article - Legal Definition
- A separate and distinct part of a written instrument, such as a contract, statute, or constitution, that is often divided into sections.
- A written instrument, containing a series of rules and stipulations that are each designated as an article.