Variant of article
- one of the sections or items of a written document, as of a constitution, treaty, contract, etc.
- the parts of a formal declaration, or of a body of rules, beliefs, etc., considered as a whole
- a complete piece of writing, as a report or essay, that is part of a newspaper, magazine, or book
- a thing of a certain kind; separate item: an article of luggage
- a thing for sale; commodity
- Gram. any one of the words a, an, or the (and their equivalents in other languages), used as adjectives: a and an are the indefinite articles and the is the definite article
Origin: ME & OFr < L articulus, dim. of artus, a joint: see art
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.