- The definition of an effigy is a statue or likeness of a person.
- An example of an effigy is the forty foot center piece structure of a man that is burned on Saturday night of the Burning Man festival.
- An example of an effigy is a stuffed cloth figure of a dictator that is dragged through the streets by a mob.
An effigy of Guy Fawkes for bonfire night.
effigy definition by Webster's New World
Origin: French effigie ; from Classical Latin effigies, a copy, image ; from effingere ; from ex-, out plush fingere, to form: see figure
effigy definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. ef·fi·gies
- A crude figure or dummy representing a hated person or group.
- A likeness or image, especially of a person.
Origin: French effigie, from Latin effigiēs, likeness, from effingere, to portray : ex-, ex- + fingere, to shape; see dheigh- in Indo-European roots.
effigy - Phrases/Idioms
burn (or hang) in effigy