- The definition of an effigy is a statue or likeness of a person.
- An example of an effigy is the forty foot center piece structure of a man that is burned on Saturday night of the Burning Man festival.
- An example of an effigy is a stuffed cloth figure of a dictator that is dragged through the streets by a mob.
An effigy of Guy Fawkes for bonfire night.
a portrait, statue, or the like, esp. of a person; likeness; often, a crude representation of a despised person
Origin of effigyFrench effigie ; from Classical Latin effigies, a copy, image ; from effingere ; from ex-, out + fingere, to form: see figure
burn (or hang) in effigy
to burn (or hang) an image of (a person) in public, as a way of protesting, as against that person's policies
- A crude figure or dummy representing a hated person or group.
- A likeness or image, especially of a person.
Origin of effigyFrench effigie, from Latin effigiēs, likeness, from effingere, to portray : ex-, ex- + fingere, to shape; see dheigh- in Indo-European roots.