- Obs. a doll
- a small, often jointed figure, as of a human being or animal, typically designed to be manipulated, as from within by the fingers of a hand or by strings held from above
- a person whose actions, ideas, etc. are controlled by another
Origin of puppetMiddle English popet from Old French poupette, diminutive of an unverified form poupe from Vulgar Latin an unverified form puppa from Classical Latin pupa, girl, doll: see pupa
designating or of a state or nation that is ostensibly independent but is actually controlled by another
- A small figure of a person or animal, having a cloth body and hollow head, designed to be fitted over and manipulated by the hand.
- A figure having jointed parts animated from above by strings or wires; a marionette.
- A toy representing a human figure; a doll.
- One whose behavior is determined by the will of others: a political puppet.
Origin of puppetMiddle English poppet doll possibly from Anglo-Norman poppe doll ; see puppy .