- Obsolete a doll
- a small, usually jointed figure, as of a human being, moved, usually in a puppet show on a small stage, by manipulating with the hands, by pulling attached strings or wires, or by rods
- a person whose actions, ideas, etc. are controlled by another
Origin of puppetMiddle English popet ; from Old French poupette, diminutive of an unverified form poupe ; from Vulgar Latin an unverified form puppa ; from Classical Latin pupa, girl, doll: see pupa
designating or of a state or nation that is ostensibly independent but is actually controlled by another
- A small figure of a person or animal, having a cloth body and hollow head, designed to be fitted over and manipulated by the hand.
- A figure having jointed parts animated from above by strings or wires; a marionette.
- A toy representing a human figure; a doll.
- One whose behavior is determined by the will of others: a political puppet.
Origin of puppetMiddle English poppet, doll, possibly from Anglo-Norman poppe, doll; see puppy.