- The definition of a creature is a person, animal or other being, real, imaginary or mythical.
- An example of a creature is a cyclops.
- An example of a creature is sasquatch.
- An example of a creature is a flying horse.
- anything created, animate or inanimate
- an animate or living being; esp.,
- ☆ Chiefly Dial. a domestic animal, specif. a horse
- a human being: often used in a patronizing, contemptuous, commiserating, or endearing sense
- a strange or imaginary being
- one completely dominated by another or dependent on another
Origin of creatureOld French ; from Classical Latin creatura
whiskey or other intoxicating liquor: humorous usage
- a. A living being, especially an animal: land creatures; microscopic creatures in a drop of water.b. A human.c. An imaginary or fantastical being: mythological creatures; a creature from outer space.
- One dependent on or subservient to another.
- Something created.
- For an explanation of the specialised use of the alternative spelling creäture, see its entry’s usage notes.
- Adjectives often applied to "creature": evil, living, little, mythical, poor, strange, beautiful, wild, rational, marine, social, legendary, good, mysterious, curious, magical, dangerous, mythological, bizarre, monstrous, unhappy, huge, lowly, ugly, happy, unique, odd, weird, demonic, divine, imaginary, hideous, fabulous, nocturnal, angelic, political.