- a person of importance or distinction; notable
- any person
- a character in history, a play, a novel, etc.
Origin of personageMFr: see person and -age
- A character in a literary work.
- a. A person.b. A person of distinction. See Synonyms at celebrity.
Origin of personageMiddle English person from Old French from persone person ; see person .
- In modern use, the noun personage is typically used with a partially redundant adjective, such as "notable" or "great"; as such, it may fairly be said to mean simply "person".