- The definition of famous is someone or something that is very well known by a lot of people.
An example of famous is a movie star.
- much talked about; having fame, or celebrity; renowned
- Informal excellent; very good; first-rate
- Archaic notorious
Origin of famousMiddle English ; from Classical Latin famosus ; from fama: see fame
- Well or widely known.
- First-rate; excellent: had a famous time at the party.
Origin of famousMiddle English, from Anglo-Norman, from Latin fāmōsus, from fāma, fame; see bhā-2 in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more famous, superlative most famous)
- Well known.
- In the public eye.
- Some people are only famous within their city.
From Anglo-Norman famous, from Old French fameus (modern French fameux).