A glass of cola
- The definition of COLA is as an abbreviation for a cost-of-living adjustment which is a regular change in payments based on the changes in cost-of-living.
An example of COLA is a 1% increase in military retirement payments to compensate for a 1% increase in the cost-of-living.
- A cola is defined as an African tree that has seeds and nuts containing caffeine, or a drink made from this caffeine.
An example of cola is Coke.
- an African tree (Cola acuminata) of the sterculia family whose seeds, or nuts, contain caffeine and yield an extract used in soft drinks and medicines
- a sweet, carbonated soft drink flavored with this extract
Origin of colaClassical Latin form of West African name
- colon (sense )
Origin of COLAc(ost-)o(f-)l(iving) a(djustment)
Origin of colaFrom cola4.
- (obsolete) plural form of colon