A glass of cola
- The definition of COLA is as an abbreviation for a cost-of-living adjustment which is a regular change in payments based on the changes in cost-of-living.
An example of COLA is a 1% increase in military retirement payments to compensate for a 1% increase in the cost-of-living.
- A cola is defined as an African tree that has seeds and nuts containing caffeine, or a drink made from this caffeine.
An example of cola is Coke.
- an African tree (Cola acuminata) of the sterculia family whose seeds, or nuts, contain caffeine and yield an extract used in soft drinks and medicines
- a sweet, carbonated soft drink flavored with this extract
Origin of colaClassical Latin form of West African name
- colon (sense )
Origin of COLAc(ost-)o(f-)l(iving) a(djustment)
Origin of colaFrom cola4.
- (obsolete) plural form of colon
cola - Investment & Finance Definition
Variant of colon
- a mark of punctuation (:) used before an extended quotation, explanation, example, series, etc. and after the salutation of a formal letter
- pl. cola in Greek prosody, a section of a prosodic period, consisting of a group of two to six feet forming a rhythmic unit with a principal accent
Origin of colonClassical Latin ; from Classical Greek kōlon, part of a verse, member, limb ; from Indo-European base an unverified form (s)kel-, to bend, crooked from source Classical Latin coluber, snake, calx, heel