A glass of cola
- The definition of COLA is as an abbreviation for a cost-of-living adjustment which is a regular change in payments based on the changes in cost-of-living.
An example of COLA is a 1% increase in military retirement payments to compensate for a 1% increase in the cost-of-living.
- A cola is defined as an African tree that has seeds and nuts containing caffeine, or a drink made from this caffeine.
An example of cola is Coke.
- an African tree (Cola acuminata) of the sterculia family whose seeds, or nuts, contain caffeine and yield an extract used in soft drinks and medicines
- a sweet, carbonated soft drink flavored with this extract
Origin of colaClassical Latin form of West African name
- pl. of colon (sense )
- alt. pl. of colon
Origin of COLAc(ost-)o(f-)l(iving) a(djustment)
Origin of colaFrom cola 4
Origin of colaLatin American Spanish slang ( perhaps originally in Mexican Spanish slang cola de borrego high-quality marijuana, literally “lamb's tail,” from the long, woolly appearance of the inflorescence ) from Spanish tail from Old Spanish from Latin cauda ; see coda.
- (obsolete) plural form of colon