- The definition of legendary is someone or something that has become famous or well-known, usually as a result of a distinctive or unique characteristic or skill.
A person who is the best pool player in a town is an example of someone who might be considered a legendary pool player.
- of, based on, or presented in legends
- remarkable; extraordinary
- well-known; famous
- Of, based on, or discussed in legend.
- Extremely well known; famous or renowned: a legendary talk show host.
- (obsolete) A collection of legends, in particular of lives of saints.
- (obsolete) One who relates legends.
legend +"Ž -ary; from Middle Latin legendarius' Earlier it was a noun meaning "a collection of legends" (1510s).' (Old French legendier), from Latin legenda. In English, both the noun and the adjective appear in the 16th century.