historical[his tôr′i kəl, -tär′-]
- The definition of historical is something that provides evidence to the facts of history or is based on people and events of the past.
An example of historical is a document like the Declaration of Independence.
The United States constitution is a historical document.
- of or concerned with history as a science: the historical method
- providing evidence for a fact of history; serving as a source of history: a historical document
- based on or suggested by people or events of the past: a historical novel
- established by history; not legendary or fictional; factual; real
- showing the development or evolution in proper chronological order: a historical account
- historic (sense )
Origin of historical; from Classical Latin historicus + -al
- a. Of or relating to history; concerned with past events: a historical account.b. Based on past events or set in the past: a historical novel.c. Used in or providing evidence of the past: historical costumes; historical records.
- Concerned with phenomena as they change through time: a historical dictionary.
- Important or famous in history. See Usage Note at historic.
(comparative more historical, superlative most historical)
- See usage notes for historic.
- A historical romance.
From historic + -al.