- The definition of historical is something that provides evidence to the facts of history or is based on people and events of the past.
An example of historical is a document like the Declaration of Independence.
The United States constitution is a historical document.
historical definition by Webster's New World
- of or concerned with history as a science: the historical method
- providing evidence for a fact of history; serving as a source of history: a historical document
- based on or suggested by people or events of the past: a historical novel
- established by history; not legendary or fictional; factual; real
- showing the development or evolution in proper chronological order: a historical account
- historic (sense )
Origin: ; from Classical Latin historicus plush -al
historical definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. Of or relating to the character of history.b. Based on or concerned with events in history.c. Used in the past: historical costumes; historical weapons.
- Important or famous in history. See Usage Note at historic.
- his·torˈi·cal·ly adverb
- his·torˈi·cal·ness noun