- of or concerned with language, mores, etc. at a given time, without reference to historical antecedents
- Of or relating to the study of phenomena, such as linguistic features, or of events of a particular time, without reference to their historical context.
- occurring at a specific point in time.
- (linguistics) relating to the study of a language at only one point in its history.
- (linguistics, relating to the study of a language at only one point in its history): The synchronic comparison of two languages focusses on categorising phenomena typologically, whereas a diachronic comparison may be looking for common origins or causes of these phenomena, viewed as genetic relationships.
From Ancient Greek ÏƒÏÎ½ (sun, â€œwith, in company with, together withâ€) + Ï‡ÏÏŒÎ½Î¿Ï‚ (khrÃ³nos, â€œtimeâ€)