- The definition of synchronous is something that happens at the same time or has consistent timing between each occurrence.
- An example of something synchronous is swimmers that all start at the same sound.
- An example of something synchronous is the timing of the action for parts of your car's engine.
synchronous definition by Webster's New World
- happening at the same time; occurring together; simultaneous
- having the same period between movements, occurrences, etc.; having the same rate and phase, as vibrations
- Elec. designating or of a machine, specif. an alternating-current motor, generator, or converter, whose normal operating speed is exactly proportional to the frequency of the current in the circuit to which it is connected
Origin: Late Latin synchronus ; from Classical Greek synchronos: see synchronize
synchronous definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Occurring or existing at the same time. See Synonyms at contemporary.
- Moving or operating at the same rate.
- a. Having identical periods.b. Having identical period and phase.
Origin: From Late Latin synchronus, from Greek sunkhronos : sun-, syn- + khronos, time.
- synˈchro·nous·ly adverb
- synˈchro·nous·ness noun
synchronous - Computer Definition
From Latin and Greek origins, synchronous translates as together with time. Referring to events that occur at the same instant of a coordinated time scale. If the events are repetitive, the instant of one event bears a fixed time relationship with the instant of a corresponding event, e.g., event a is followed 10 milliseconds later by event b. Synchronous processes in separate, networked devices depend on a common clocking source, on clocking pulses emitted by the transmitting device, or on synchronizing bits or bit patterns embedded in a set of data.
Refers to transmission of data through networks, in which the transmission is governed by specific timing requirements on the transmission end. Synchronous transmission is used on a byte level as well as on the level of entire messages.
See Also: Asynchronous.
Refers to events that are synchronized, or coordinated, in time. For example, the interval between transmitting A and B is the same as between B and C, and completing the current operation before the next one is started are considered synchronous operations. Contrast with asynchronous.
synchronous - Medical Definition