- The definition of simultaneous is things that are going on at the same time.
When two television shows are on different channels at the same time, this is an example of a situation where the shows are simultaneous.
Origin of simultaneousMedieval Latin simultaneus ; from simultas, simultaneity ; from Classical Latin competition, rivalry ; from simul: see same
- Happening, existing, or done at the same time. See Synonyms at contemporary.
- Mathematics Containing variables for which there are values that can satisfy all the equations: simultaneous equations.
Origin of simultaneousLatin simul, at the same time; see sem-1 in Indo-European roots + English -taneous (as in instantaneous).
- si′mul·ta′ne·ous·ness, si′mul·ta·ne′i·ty
- Occurring or transpiring at the same time.