- The definition of simultaneous is things that are going on at the same time.
When two television shows are on different channels at the same time, this is an example of a situation where the shows are simultaneous.
simultaneous definition by Webster's New World
Origin: Midieval Latin simultaneus ; from simultas, simultaneity ; from Classical Latin competition, rivalry ; from simul: see same
simultaneous definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Happening, existing, or done at the same time. See Synonyms at contemporary.
- Mathematics Containing variables for which there are values that can satisfy all the equations: simultaneous equations.
Origin: Latin simul, at the same time; see sem-1 in Indo-European roots + English -taneous (as in instantaneous).
- siˌmul·taˈne·ous·ly adverb
- siˌmul·taˈne·ous·ness, siˌmul·ta·neˈi·ty noun