The definition of coincident is something that happens at the same time, exists in the same place or is the same as something else.
An example of coincident is two people dropping a glass at the same time in a restaurant.
- occurring at the same time
- taking up the same position in space at the same time
- in agreement; similar or identical: where desire and need are coincident
Origin of coincidentFrench from Medieval Latin coincidens, present participle
- Occupying the same area in space or happening at the same time: a series of coincident events. See Synonyms at contemporary.
- Being in agreement or harmony: testimony that was coincident with the actual facts.
- Matching point for point; coinciding: coincident circles.
(comparative more coincident, superlative most coincident)
From French coïncident.