- The definition of a coincidence is an example of two things relating to each other or having some connection that was unexpected.
An example of a coincidence is when you unexpectedly run into your friend in the mall.
coincidence definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- the fact or condition of coinciding
- an accidental and remarkable occurrence of events or ideas at the same time, suggesting but lacking a causal relationship
Origin: French ; from Midieval Latin coincidentia
coincidence definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The state or fact of occupying the same relative position or area in space.
- A sequence of events that although accidental seems to have been planned or arranged.