- The definition of a coincidence is an example of two things relating to each other or having some connection that was unexpected.
An example of a coincidence is when you unexpectedly run into your friend in the mall.
- the fact or condition of coinciding
- an accidental and remarkable occurrence of events or ideas at the same time, suggesting but lacking a causal relationship
Origin of coincidenceFrench ; from Medieval Latin coincidentia
- The state or fact of occupying the same relative position or area in space.
- A sequence of events that although accidental seems to have been planned or arranged.
From French coïncidence.