The definition of contemporary is existing at the same time or of the present time period.adjective
- An example of contemporary are the works of Fitzgerald and Hemingway.
- An example of contemporary is furniture in the modern style.
A contemporary is defined as a person living around the same time.noun
An example of contemporary is Fitzgerald to Hemingway.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- living or happening in the same period of time
- of about the same age
- of or in the style of the present or recent times; modern
Origin: < L com-, with + temporarius, of time < tempus, time: see temper
noun pl. contemporaries
- a person living in the same period as another or others
- a person or thing of about the same age or date of origin as another
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Belonging to the same period of time: a fact documented by two contemporary sources.
- Of about the same age.
- Current; modern: contemporary trends in design.
- One of the same time or age: Shelley and Keats were contemporaries.
- A person of the present age.
Origin: Medieval Latin contemporārius : Latin com-, com- + Latin tempus, tempor-, time + Latin -ārius, -ary.
- con·temˌpo·rarˈi·ly adverb