- The definition of contemporary is existing at the same time or of the present time period.
- An example of contemporary are the works of Fitzgerald and Hemingway.
- An example of contemporary is furniture in the modern style.
- A contemporary is defined as a person living around the same time.
An example of contemporary is Fitzgerald to Hemingway.
A contemporary home.
contemporary definition by Webster's New World
- living or happening in the same period of time
- of about the same age
- of or in the style of the present or recent times; modern
Origin: ; from Classical Latin com-, with plush temporarius, of time ; from tempus, time: see temper
- a person living in the same period as another or others
- a person or thing of about the same age or date of origin as another
contemporary definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Belonging to the same period of time: a fact documented by two contemporary sources.
- Of about the same age.
- Current; modern: contemporary trends in design.
- One of the same time or age: Shelley and Keats were contemporaries.
- A person of the present age.
Origin: Medieval Latin contemporārius : Latin com-, com- + Latin tempus, tempor-, time + Latin -ārius, -ary.
- con·temˌpo·rarˈi·ly adverb