- a story handed down for generations among a people and popularly believed to have a historical basis, although not verifiable
- all such stories belonging to a particular group of people: famous in Irish legend
- a notable person whose deeds or exploits are much talked about in his or her own time
- the stories of his or her exploits
- an inscription on a coin, coat of arms, etc.
- a title, brief description, or key accompanying an illustration or map
Origin of legendMiddle English legende from Old French from Medieval Latin legenda, things to read, neuter plural of Classical Latin legendus, gerund, gerundive of legere, to read: see logic