- The definition of an inscription is words or letters that have been written or carved into something, or the act of writing words or letters into something.
- A message someone writes on the front page of a book they have given to you is an example of an inscription.
- A marking or wording on a coin is an example of an inscription.
- The act of writing a message on the front page of a book you are giving as a gift is an example of inscription.
An inscription on a building.
inscription definition by Webster's New World
- the act of inscribing
- something inscribed or engraved, as on a coin or monument
- a brief or informal dedication in a book, etc.
- a short, signed message written in a book, etc. one is presenting as a gift
Origin: Middle English inscripcioun ; from Classical Latin inscriptio ; from inscriptus, past participle of inscribere
inscription definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The act or an instance of inscribing.
- A marking, such as the wording on a coin, medal, monument, or seal, that is inscribed.
- A piece of material, such as a stone or metal tablet, that is inscribed.
- An enrollment or a registration of names.
- a. A short, signed message in a book or on a photograph given as a gift.b. The usually informal dedication of a book or an artistic work.
Origin: Middle English inscripcioun, statement giving the author or title of a book, from Latin īnscrīptiō, īnscrīptiōn-, from īnscrīptus, past participle of īnscrībere, to inscribe; see inscribe.
- in·scripˈtion·al, in·scripˈtive adjective
- in·scripˈtive·ly adverb
inscription - Medical Definition