- the act, process, or art of one who engraves
- an engraved plate, drawing, or design
- a print made from an engraved surface
- The art or technique of one that engraves.
- A design or text engraved on a surface.
- An engraved surface for printing.
- A print made from an engraved plate or block.
engraved sterling silver napkin ring
acrography the art or technique of carving a wood block in relief. —acrographer, n. —acrographic, acrographical, adj. burinist an engraver, usually in metal. Also called graver. cameography the art or technique of engraving cameos. dactylioglyph 1. the name of the engraver inscribed on a gemstone or finger ring. 2. an artist who engraves precious stones and metals. Also dactylioglyphist. dactylioglyphy the art of engraving gemstones and finger rings. dactyliography the art of engraving gemstones. —dactyliographer, n. —dactyliographic, adj. ectypography a form of engraving in which the design is in relief instead of being sunk. galvanography the use of chemically induced electric current rather than chemicals to produce plates for copperplate engraving. —galvanograph, n. —galvanographic, ad). glyptograph 1. an engraving on a gemstone or other small object. 2. the stone or object engraved. glyptology 1. the art of engraving, especially on gems. 2. the study of this art. lithoglyph 1. an engraving or carving on a gem stone. 2. the stone thus engraved. —lithoglyphic, lithoglyptic, adj. lithoglypher Obsolete, an engraver of precious stones. lithoglyptics the art of engraving or carving precious stones. —lithoglyptic, adj. medalist an engraver, designer, or maker of medals. See also honors and regalia. photoglyphy photogravure or the process of engraving by means of photography. —photoglyphic, adj. photogravure 1. a form of photoengraving in which the photograph is reproduced on an intaglio surface and then transferred to paper. 2. the photograph produced by this process. photolithography the process of making lithographs produced by photoengraving. Cf. photogravure. —photolithographer, n. —photolithographic, adj. siderography a technique of engraving on steel plates, often used in the printing of banknotes. —siderograph, siderographist, n. —siderographic, siderographical, adj. stylography the art of drawing, writing, or engraving with a style or similar instrument. —stylographic, stylographical, adj. xylography the art of engraving on wood for printing. —xylographer, n. —xylographic, xylographical, adj. zincography the process of engraving on zinc or of printing from a zinc plate. —zincographer, n. —zincographic, zincographical, adj.
- The practice of incising a design onto a hard, flat surface, by cutting grooves into it.
- An engraved image.
- (music) The art of drawing music notation at high quality, see Engraving.
- Present participle of engrave.
- Most dictionaries contain an engraving of the manual letters.
- Ivory Panels With Line Engraving; From Nimrud.
- For the nature and method of preparing these surfaces see respectively Engraving (and allied articles), Lithography and Typography.
- Although a little engraving on copper has been practised in Japan of late years, it is of no artistic value, and the only branch of the art which calls for recognition is the Engraving.
- A plan, the engraving of which formerly took two years, can now be produced in two days.