engraving[en grāv′iŋ, in-]
An engraving of a wild goat.
engraving definition by Webster's New World
- the act, process, or art of one who engraves
- an engraved plate, drawing, or design
- a print made from an engraved surface
engraving definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The art or technique of one that engraves.
- A design or text engraved on a surface.
- An engraved surface for printing.
- A print made from an engraved plate or block.
engraving - Ologies & -Isms Definition
engraving - Cultural Definition
An artistic print made from a metal plate on which an artist has cut a design with a graver or a small chisel. (Compare etching.)
Variant of engrave
- to cut or incise letters, designs, etc. in or on (a surface)
- to impress deeply or permanently on the mind or memory, as though by engraving
- to cut or incise (a picture, letters, etc.) into a metal plate, wooden block, etc. for printing
- to print with such a plate, block, etc.
Origin: French engraver ; from en-, in plush graver, to incise ; from Old French grafe, stylus ; from Classical Latin graphium ; from Classical Greek graphion, graving tool ; from graphein: see graphic
- engraver noun