- The definition of a posy is an older term for a bouquet of flowers.
A bunch of picked violets tied with a ribbon is an example of a posy.
- Archaic a line of poetry or motto inscribed inside a ring, etc.
- Old-fashioned a flower, bouquet, or nosegay
Origin of posycontr. ; from poesy
- A flower or bunch of flowers; a bouquet.
- Archaic A brief verse or sentimental phrase, especially one inscribed on a ring.
Origin of posyAlteration of poesy, motto or line of verse (archaic).
Shortening of poesy. The meaning 'motto inscribed inside a ring' is first attested in the early 15th century; the meaning 'flower, bouquet' from the 1570s.