- The definition of a posy is an older term for a bouquet of flowers.
A bunch of picked violets tied with a ribbon is an example of a posy.
- Archaic a line of poetry or motto inscribed inside a ring, etc.
- Old-fashioned a flower, bouquet, or nosegay
Origin: contr. from poesy
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. po·sies
- A flower or bunch of flowers; a bouquet.
- Archaic A brief verse or sentimental phrase, especially one inscribed on a trinket.
Origin: Alteration of poesy, motto or line of verse (archaic).