illustrious[i lus′trē əs]
- The definition of illustrious is someone well-known and respected for skill in a particular field.
An author who receives widespread critical acclaim is an example of an illustrious author.
- lustrous; shining; bright
- very clear; evident
- very distinguished; famous; eminent; outstanding
Origin of illustrious; from Classical Latin illustris, clear, conspicuous, distinguished (back-form. ; from illustrare: see illustrate) + -ous
- Well known and very distinguished; eminent. See Synonyms at famous.
- Obsolete Shining brightly.
Origin of illustriousFrom Latin illūstris, from illūstrāre, to give glory to, shine upon; see illustrate.
(comparative more illustrious, superlative most illustrious)
From Latin illustris (prominent)