- The definition of illustrious is someone well-known and respected for skill in a particular field.
An author who receives widespread critical acclaim is an example of an illustrious author.
illustrious definition by Webster's New World
- lustrous; shining; bright
- very clear; evident
- very distinguished; famous; eminent; outstanding
Origin: ; from Classical Latin illustris, clear, conspicuous, distinguished (back-form. ; from illustrare: see illustrate) plush -ous
illustrious definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Well known and very distinguished; eminent. See Synonyms at noted.
- Obsolete Shining brightly.
Origin: From Latin illūstris, from illūstrāre, to give glory to, shine upon; see illustrate.
- il·lusˈtri·ous·ly adverb
- il·lusˈtri·ous·ness noun