notorious[nō tôr′ē əs]
- The definition of notorious is well known for an undesirable trait or for any particular trait.
- An example of notorious is a person known for her alcoholic tendencies.
- An example of notorious is a person known for their excellent cake decorating abilities.
- well-known; publicly discussed
- widely but unfavorably known or talked about
Origin of notoriousMedieval Latin notorius ; from Late Latin notoria, news, information ; from notus: see note
Origin of notoriousFrom Medieval Latin nōtōrius, well-known, from Latin nōtus, known, past participle of nōscere, to get to know; see gnō- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more notorious, superlative most notorious)
First attested 1548, from Medieval Latin nÅtÅrius (“widely or fully known"), from Latin nÅtus (“known"), perfect passive participle of nÅscÅ (“get to know"). Negative sense appeared in seventeenth century.