notorious[nō tôr′ē əs]
- The definition of notorious is well known for an undesirable trait or for any particular trait.
- An example of notorious is a person known for her alcoholic tendencies.
- An example of notorious is a person known for their excellent cake decorating abilities.
- well-known; publicly discussed
- widely but unfavorably known or talked about
Origin of notoriousMedieval Latin notorius ; from Late Latin notoria, news, information ; from notus: see note
Origin of notoriousFrom Medieval Latin nōtōrius, well-known, from Latin nōtus, known, past participle of nōscere, to get to know; see gnō- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more notorious, superlative most notorious)
First attested 1548, from Medieval Latin nÅtÅrius (â€œwidely or fully knownâ€), from Latin nÅtus (â€œknownâ€), perfect passive participle of nÅscÅ (â€œget to knowâ€). Negative sense appeared in seventeenth century.