- The definition of notorious is well known for an undesirable trait or for any particular trait.
- An example of notorious is a person known for her alcoholic tendencies.
- An example of notorious is a person known for their excellent cake decorating abilities.
notorious definition by Webster's New World
- well-known; publicly discussed
- widely but unfavorably known or talked about
Origin: Midieval Latin notorius ; from Late Latin notoria, news, information ; from notus: see note
notorious definition by American Heritage Dictionary
Origin: From Medieval Latin nōtōrius, well-known, from Latin nōtus, known, past participle of nōscere, to get to know; see gnō- in Indo-European roots.
- no·toˈri·ous·ly adverb
- no·toˈri·ous·ness noun