- The definition of notorious is well known for an undesirable trait or for any particular trait.
- An example of notorious is a person known for her alcoholic tendencies.
- An example of notorious is a person known for their excellent cake decorating abilities.
- well-known; publicly discussed
- widely but unfavorably known or talked about
Origin: ML notorius from Late Latin notoria, news, information from notus: see note
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Origin: From Medieval Latin nōtōrius, well-known, from Latin nōtus, known, past participle of nōscere, to get to know; see gnō- in Indo-European roots.
- no·toˈri·ous·ly adverb
- no·toˈri·ous·ness noun