- An example of scandalous is Woody Allen becoming romantically involved with his step daughter.
- An example of scandalous is the media spreading false rumors about a celebrity being a drug addict.
The definition of scandalous is a morally shocking or indecent person, thing or action, or something that hurts a person's reputation.
- causing scandal; offensive to a sense of decency or shocking to the moral feelings of the community; shameful
- consisting of or spreading slander; libelous; defamatory
Origin of scandalousFrench scandaleux from Medieval Latin scandalosus
- Causing scandal; shocking: scandalous behavior.
- Containing material damaging to reputation; defamatory: a scandalous exposé.
(comparative more scandalous, superlative most scandalous)