- The definition of invidious is something that is likely to cause anger, or something that is unjust or unfair.
- An example of an invidious behavior is behavior that is likely to make others around you mad.
- An example of invidious actions are discriminatory actions where one person is treated unfairly as compared to others.
invidious definition by Webster's New World
- such as to excite ill will, odium, or envy; giving offense
- giving offense by discriminating unfairly: invidious comparisons
- Obsolete envious
Origin: Classical Latin invidiosus ; from invidia: see envy
invidious definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Tending to rouse ill will, animosity, or resentment: invidious accusations.
- Containing or implying a slight; discriminatory: invidious distinctions.
Origin: From Latin invidiōsus, envious, hostile, from invidia, envy; see envy.
- in·vidˈi·ous·ly adverb
- in·vidˈi·ous·ness noun