- The definition of obvious is something that is readily apparent or easy to see.
An example of obvious is an elephant standing right in front of you.
obvious definition by Webster's New World
- easy to see or understand; plain; evident
- Obsolete being in the way
Origin: Classical Latin obvius, in the way, lying open: see ob- and amp; via
obvious definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Easily perceived or understood; quite apparent. See Synonyms at apparent.
- Easily seen through because of a lack of subtlety; transparent: an obvious political ploy.
- Archaic Standing in the way or in front.
Origin: From Latin obvius, from obviam, in the way, within reach : ob-, against; see ob- + viam, accusative sing. of via, way; see wegh- in Indo-European roots.
- obˈvi·ous·ly adverb
- obˈvi·ous·ness noun