The definition of obvious is something that is readily apparent or easy to see.adjective
An example of obvious is an elephant standing right in front of you.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- easy to see or understand; plain; evident
- Obsolete being in the way
Origin: L obvius, in the way, lying open: see ob- & via
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Easily perceived or understood; quite apparent. See Synonyms at apparent.
- Easily seen through because of a lack of subtlety; transparent: an obvious political ploy.
- Archaic Standing in the way or in front.
Origin: From Latin obvius, from obviam, in the way, within reach : ob-, against; see ob- + viam, accusative sing. of via, way; see wegh- in Indo-European roots.
- obˈvi·ous·ly adverb
- obˈvi·ous·ness noun