- The definition of obvious is something that is readily apparent or easy to see.
An example of obvious is an elephant standing right in front of you.
- easy to see or understand; plain; evident
- Obsolete being in the way
Origin: L obvius, inch(es) the way, lying open: see ob- and amp; via
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Easily perceived or understood; quite apparent. See Synonyms at apparent.
- Easily seen through because of a lack of subtlety; transparent: an obvious political ploy.
- Archaic Standing in the way or in front.
Origin: From Latin obvius, from obviam, in the way, within reach : ob-, against; see ob- + viam, accusative sing. of via, way; see wegh- in Indo-European roots.
- obˈvi·ous·ly adverb
- obˈvi·ous·ness noun