- The definition of obvious is something that is readily apparent or easy to see.
An example of obvious is an elephant standing right in front of you.
- easy to see or understand; plain; evident
- Obsolete being in the way
Origin of obviousClassical Latin obvius, in the way, lying open: see ob- and amp; via
- Easily perceived or understood; apparent. See Synonyms at apparent.
- Easily seen through because of a lack of subtlety; transparent: an obvious political ploy that fooled no one.
Origin of obviousFrom Latin obvius, from obviam, in the way, within reach : ob-, against; see ob– + viam, accusative sing. of via, way; see wegh- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more obvious, superlative most obvious)