- a person or animal weighing much more than average
- an athlete, in any of various sports, who is in the heaviest weight division or classification; specif., a boxer in the heaviest weight classification, typically weighing over 195 pounds (88.45 kg)
- ☆ Informal a very intelligent, influential, or important person
- heavy in weight
- of heavyweights
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- One of above average weight.
- a. The heaviest weight division in professional boxing, having no upper limit, with contestants usually weighing more than 190 pounds (85.5 kilograms).b. A boxer competing in this weight division.c. A similar weight division in other sports, such as weightlifting.d. A contestant in this weight division.
- Informal A person of great importance or influence.
- heavˈy·weightˌ adjective