The definition of blue chip is a description for a high-priced stock with a record of steady earnings.
An example of blue chip is General Electric stock.
- designating any high-priced stock with a good record of earnings and price stability
- Informal excellent, valuable, etc.
Origin of blue-chipafter the high-value blue chips of poker
- A stock that sells at a high price because of public confidence in its long record of steady earnings.
- An extremely valuable asset or property.
- Games A blue poker chip of high value.
(comparative more bluechip, superlative most bluechip)
- Of or pertaining to a blue chip investment
(plural blue chips)