The definition of blue chip is a description for a high-priced stock with a record of steady earnings.
An example of blue chip is General Electric stock.
- designating or of the high-quality stock of certain large, well-established companies with a history of financial stability, consistent profitability, etc.
- Informal excellent, valuable, etc.
Origin of blue-chipfrom the high-value blue chips used in poker
- A stock that sells at a high price because of public confidence in its long record of steady earnings.
- An extremely valuable asset or property.
- Games A blue poker chip of high value.
(comparative more bluechip, superlative most bluechip)
- Of or pertaining to a blue chip investment
(plural blue chips)